Required Format for Recorded Documents:
Documents must conform to Standard Document Format, Wisconsin Act 110, effective September 1, 1996. Most office supply stores have forms that meet the requirements of Wisconsin Statute 59.43(2m). If necessary, you may add a cover-sheet to your document to make it conform to the Wisconsin standard document format.
• The upper right hand corner of the document is completely blank - at least 3” by 3” for official recording stamp.
• The name and return address is either (1) directly under the recording area, or (2) on the left side of the page and within the top 3 inches.
• The parcel identifier number is placed directly under the return address (unless county does not require the PIN).
• The title of the document is within the top 3 inches of the page but not in the 3 by 3 inch corner left blank for our recording stamp.
• The entire document is legible & reproducible.
• The paper is white, standard weight, and letter or legal-sized.
• The ink is black (or red) so that the document will scan properly.
• The top margin is a minimum of 1/2 inch for every page. Other margins are minimum of 1/4 inch.
• The pages are not hinged.
Remember, you still need:
• Complete legal descriptions if the document refers to specific parcels of land.
• Original signatures notarized or authenticated.
• Proper fees accompanying the document.
• Name of the document drafter.
• Wisconsin Real Estate Transfer Return-eRETR (completed and with proper fee or exemption #) for deeds, land contracts and other instruments of conveyance. www.dor.state.wi.us/retr/index.html